Tuesday 25 January 2011

The Superman Principle...

I love comic books.  I have a load of them over a variety of genres and titles and find it difficult to pick out favourites.  However, I have a soft spot for Superman.  It was the first comic book I ever bought and I love the films, Smallville, even the theme tune from the movies makes me smile...its just good fun.

Anyway I have noticed something the other day...I have called it the 'Superman Principle' and it goes like this.
How many times as teachers have we sat down and discussed a student with another member of staff and looked surprised when your vision of them is different to theirs?

Students react differently to different teachers, classrooms, subjects etc... we all know that but do we take it into consideration when teaching them? 

Where you are teaching 'Clark Kent' - all shy and retiring, hiding behind their glasses and hoping the world wont notice who they really are, your colleague is teaching 'Superman' - bold, confident and focused on achieving the goal in front of them.

By sharing your experiences with your colleagues you can build in the classroom opportunities needed to turn Clark into Superman.

We need to realise that teaching is all about the sharing of info  - no teacher is an island!

No comments:

Post a Comment