Thursday 12 January 2012

I never liked Meccano....

As a kid I never liked Meccano, it seemed like hard work to find the screws, nuts and bolts needed in order to create something. This translated through my school life...told to take Home Economics as I wasn't cut out for woodwork or metalwork...and into my adult life. If we need anything fixing I have someone I can call.

So how come I have discovered a knack for flat pack stuff? I mean it's Meccano for adults yet I like it...hmmmm...have I missed something because of what I was told at school?

Maybe we need to think about what we are telling students in terms of what they can and can't do? There will always be some students for whom academic subjects will always be a bridge to far but that doesn't mean they can't do something. We need to make sure we are careful to encourage students to make the right choices by using the right language in order to make them feel they are able to succeed...how would we feel if 20 years down the line we met someone who tells us 'I remember you you told me I wouldn't be able to do...'

You never know who you have sat in front of you.

2 comments:

  1. But..but... Meccano! Are you sure we're related? :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry mate...never got it! Lego different story...

    ReplyDelete