Thursday 10 December 2009

A catalyst for discussion...

I have been working with my Yr10 Humanities class on the topic of Conflict and we were working through the section on the Northern Ireland crisis. It was about 10 minutes in when I realised they had no idea about this!!! Suddenly feeling old I explained in detail about what happened and showed them a video highlighting the main events of the conflict. They sat silently afterwards and then one voice said 'Gosh it was so bad over there.'

This triggered a discussion around the video for the remainder of the lesson (3 part lesson out the window...HOORAY!) which was incredible.

Next lesson I set them a GCSE question which included an example question based around a conflict they had studied...amazing answers.

Take time to listen...give them the chance to speak

No comments:

Post a Comment