Wednesday 9 December 2009

Vocal appreciation

As with any school we have an agenda to allow students to voice their opinions whether that be in terms of focus groups, feedback, student council etc...

So I thought how about their opinion on you as a teacher? Dangerous territory, flying without Union backing on this one!

When its structured well it works. When its not...it really doesn't! I remember a teacher in my faculty a few years ago holding some Yr11's back and asking 'What do you think of my lessons? Be honest' ... they were honest, she was literally destroyed by it.

Its not only the structure, its the relationship you have with the students. If you pick a class where there are behavioural issues then feedback will be, well interesting.

When I have done this its been very casual and laid back environment with no pressure being applied. You can use many methods. I have used discussion, feedback box and then response to the points by me next lesson, feedback sheets, red/yellow/green ranking based on a criteria designed by the students and agreed by me - to name a few.

Each time I have found out the same thing - students are very good at highlighting your areas of complacency. They love the variation of lessons so if you settle into a routine because its easy they will pick up on that.

The important thing is you feedback - whether that's verbally or through making changes - so they realise their view is valued and being listened to.

Its risky, you're vulnerable...but its worth it, as the only ones who see you teach day in and day out are those in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment