Tuesday 23 February 2010

Enter the plate spinner...and now exit...

Teaching is like plate spinning...its all about keeping your focus and making sure nothing gets out of sight long enough to hit the floor!

One of my classes today proved this point. Its been quite a while since I have taught them due to holidays and other events before half term so I was trying to work out exactly where we had got to. The last time I taught them there were only 4 of them left as the rest went off for a treat for good behaviour...so its about a month since I've seen them as a full class.

They came in and I was sure we were at the stage for the assessment so I launch into the opening gambit and begin to outline the plan for the next two lessons and one IM (Independent Mission...new name for homework...I still think it should be MI as its still 'Mission Impossible' to get it in!). About 10 minutes in the blank faces are beginning to concern me.

I stop and ask them whether they had remembered they had an assessment today? They said yes...so why the blank faces?

'Sir' a small voice says 'We have been doing conservation as a topic.'

Sounds of metaphoric crashing as the plates hit the floor...I was introducing the assessment to the wrong year group!

I'll get my coat...

1 comment: